Jackson had his testing today for peanuts. He is in fact allergic to peanuts. I am so sad for him. It breaks my heart like you would not believe. My precious little Jackson will be starting preschool in August and I am scared to death to send him now, as if I were not already going to have the hardest time letting him go!! It is now much harder for me to think about. He will be away from my watchful eyes and in the hands of teachers and other children who do not know any better. He will have children with peanut butter sandwiches or snacks that contain peanuts surrounding him. I don't know how I will handle this. How will I carry on each day not being there with him watching to make sure there are NO PEANUTS for him to eat. I would not have started him in preschool just yet had I known this. I may have to rethink sending him this year and waiting another year OR two. He is too young to understand. My boy loves to eat and will eat anything you put in front of him or like last Friday reach on the table and grab a banana nut bread muffin. I was in panic mode when this happen and I was there. I have not let Jackson have peanuts or tree nuts due to a family history and the reaction Jackson had at Miyos.
Jackson screamed so hard as they tested him TWICE today. How can you hurt so bad for someone else? It's amazing the love I have for my children!! I do know the true meaning of Jesus love for me!! I would do anything for my children! I do not like to see them in pain. Jackson's pain today was more of him being scared than anything. The testing was not a typical skin test like they do on adults. It was more of a scratch test. They put the drops on his skin and then stick and scratch with a little tool. There were three marks and at least one of them wasn't suppose to react. However, all three of them did. This meant they had to do it again because the first one appeared to run together. I was ok with the first one, but when she had to do it again and Jackson started crying and screaming again, I was so upset!! I felt for him and it was even worse when she came back in the room and said "yes, he is allergic to peanuts". I was so heartbroken. My poor Jackson will never know what its like to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. What child doesn't like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.!!
Please pray for me as this is going to be a hard obstacle for me. I will have to carry benadryl, Orapred, and a twinject(which is a type of epipen) with me at all times. If Jackson reacts to peanut, this could be a very serious reaction. He will see the allergist for a followup in a year and be re-tested at the age of 4. They will re-test to see if he is still allergic or how severe the allergy is. I believe it's only 20% that will outgrow a peanut allergy. I don't understand how so many kids these days are allergic to peanuts. Where is this coming from? I am convinced it's our diets, but what is it???
Jackson is not allowed to eat tree nuts or peanuts. The no tree nut is done more out of precaution. There is a 25% chance that he could be or will at some point in his life become allergic to tree nuts as well. Jackson as a cousin that is highly allergic to tree nuts. I don't believe he is allergic to tree nuts because he does eat cookies, cupcakes, desserts and birthday cakes and has never had a reaction. All of these usually contain some type of tree nut. My prayer is that he DOES NOT become allergic to tree nuts! We will avoid them as much as possible!! As the allergist said, there is no reason to take the risk!
Hershey's Hugs + M&M Pretzel Bites
6 years ago
2 comments:
Don't worry....Right now there is a little girl who is HIGHLY allergic to nuts in his class. She can't even eat things that have been around nuts....and Jackson will have the exact same teachers so they are well prepared!! I don't really like nuts anyway! :)
that sucks. i am sorry to hear this. hopefully he will be one of the ones that will outgrow it!
Post a Comment