This post is mainly for me so that if Savannah starts wheezing again, I don't forget all the details of her recent reaction. On Thursday, Savannah woke up with welts on her stomach, diaper area, a few spots on her chest, and a spot by her eye after her nap. I called the pediatrician concerned that she may be allergic to albuterol and to find out how much benadryl to give her. They told me they didn't think it was the alburterol. Savannah started breathing treatments on Monday for wheezing that started last Saturday. The nurse felt like if it were the albuterol, she would have reacted before Thursday.
The welts went away with the albuterol, but the rash under the welts never did. I gave her more benadryl before she went to bed and at 3am, she woke up screaming. I got up to check on her to find that she was covered from head to toe. Jason was out of town, so of course I panicked. I gave her benadryl and let her lay on my chest to sleep. At 5am, she started throwing up phlegm. I really panicked at this time and called the pediatrician on call. She also stated she did not think it was the albuterol. She said as long as her breathing was fine, there was nothing I needed to do at this point. I had a follow up appointment already with her pediatrician Friday morning for the wheezing. Our peditrican along with the other two doctors in the office said in 30 years, they have never seen a child allergic to albuterol. At this point, I was in tears. I just wanted to say "I think you just did." However, I stayed calm and waited to see what they would say next. I put a lot of faith on our pediatrician. I would not trade her for anything. I truly believe she is one of the best out there. She is extremely cautious and always follows up with us. She sent us home with zithromax and a steroid called oraped to treat Savannah's wheezing until we knew what to do about the albuterol. The zithromax was to treat possible "walking pneumonia" because it can sometimes cause a nasty rash. She was calling Jackson's allergist to find out if it was possible for her to be allergic to the albuterol. Within an hour, I got a phone call from her saying that the allergist said DO NOT give her any more breathing treatments. It could very well be related to the rash and welts. The allergist said that it is very rare that you see a child allergic to albuterol, but you do see it.
This is what Savannah looked like Friday morning.
Here she is at the doctors office. If you notice her arm, that it what her whole body looked liked by late afternoon on Friday. .jpg)
Her right eye was almost swollen shut..jpg)
Her knee was swollen with a big welt covering it.
My sweet girl didn't look like herself.
At this point, we do not know 100 percent if she is allergic to albuterol or not. As of this morning, she only had an outbreak on her arm and it cleared right up with the benardyl. I pray this is the last of it. I believe the plan at this time is if we face wheezing again, she will be treated with the steroid. However, if it happens a third time, we will have to consult an allergist to see what the plan will be. I am praying we will never have to find out what that plan is! We are just excited to have our Savannah back. It was not a fun week at all. We have a follow up this week with the pediatrician , and I am praying we get the same report we got Saturday morning....that is the wheezing is GONE!!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment