Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

This is my favorite time of year to cook because I love soup! I am always looking for great soup recipes. I came across a awesome broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe on My Blessed Life's blog. When I say it is awesome, I mean it is awesome! I have made this one twice in three weeks and will make it again. It's great for these cold gloomy days we have had. I think I have discovered the key to great tasting broccoli and cheddar soup and that is to puree it in the blender! So Yummy!

Broccoli Cheddar Soup – Panera Style
Ingredients:
  • 2 T. Butter, melted
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. all purpose flour
  • 4 c. half and half
  • 4 c. chicken broth ( I used chicken broth one time, and vegetable the next; both tasted great!)
  • 1 lb. fresh broccoli
  • 2 cups, julienned carrots ( I left out the carrots)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg ( I left out the nutmeg)
  • 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Directions:

Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Whisk butter and flour over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add half and half. Add chicken stock, still whisking.

Simmer 20 minutes.

Add broccoli, carrots and onion. Cook over low heat until veggies are tender – about 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup will have thickened by now.

Carefully transfer soup mixture to blender and puree. Return soup to pot (or crock pot) over low heat. Add cheese. Stir until well blended. Add nutmeg right before serving.

Makes 8-10 Servings!

ENJOY!!!

No comments: