Please forgive me for those that read my blog for fun! This post is mainly for me so that I don't forget the details of this day. Many of you know that I do not have a great memory and this is one thing I do not want to forget. Although, I'm pretty confident that this day will be ingrained in my head forever!
Jackson was put on Zithromax today for a sinus infection. After his nap, I gave him his first dose at 2:40. He immediately asked for something to drink. I gave him a caprisun and right away he began to scream! I had no idea what was going on. He continued to scream and the screaming got louder and louder. I asked him what happened. He said "You gave me that medicine and I drank my caprisun and it burned." I sat with him for a minute as he continued to scream. I'm still not sure what is going on. He then began to drool and he would not close his mouth. He was putting his whole had in his mouth. It then appeared to me that he may be having an allergic reaction, so I gave him some orapred(For allergic reaction, which I have on hand because of his peanut allergy), and ran out the door with the kids. I was still unsure as to what was going on.
On the way to the ER, I called his pediatrician's office and they told me to head to their office. I was there by 3:05. On the way, I am scared to death!! I am constantly asking Jackson if he is OK. He would not close his mouth; it was wide open with tons of drool running out his mouth. He kept sticking his hand in his mouth and spitting constantly. By the time, we got on the road to his pediatrician, his eyes rolled in the back of his head right before pulling into the parking lot. I yelled at him and he started screaming again. He then had a blank stare on his face, with his mouth still wide open and drool running out his mouth. I quickly got him out of the car and ran inside!
Our doctor was off today, so we saw the doctor on call, which I happen to think is a great one, too! They gave him another dose of orapred and a breathing treatment. They monitored him for a hour and a half. Thankfully, with the two doses of orapred, benadryl, and a breathing treatment, he was back to normal.
At the end of the visit, the doctor proceeds to give me instructions for the next time something like this happens (Prayerfully, I will not see anything like this again!!) . He said that he realizes how much of a scare it was and that I did the right thing by giving him the orapred. He said that it was a severe reaction and he had never seen one happen that quick. Based on the reactions Jackson had, I am to give benadryl, orapred, use the epipen and call 911. Don't try to make it to the hospital or doctors office. Just stay 100% there with him!
I felt like I had pulled myself back together, until he told me all that! All I could think about was "what if something had happen to Jackson all because I did not use his epipen?". I had NO idea what was going on to begin with. He did not have a allergic rash and did not appear to have any breathing problems. However, the drooling from not being able to swallow and the eyes rolling in the back of the head was a true sign of the allergic reaction. I can't describe how I felt watching all of this flying down the road, trying to get to the doctor! Looking back, WHY DID I JUST NOT PULL OVER, CALL 911, and USE THE EPIEN????!
Hershey's Hugs + M&M Pretzel Bites
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment