I wanted to pass along some good advice for first time Mommy's or for those Mommy's that may have not had this problem yet. This may be old news to all of you, but I certainly could not figure it out. Jackson's pediatrician put him on Flagyl. For those who do not know what this is, it is one of the nastiest medicines you can give to a child. The pharmacist tried to mask the taste with cherry and marshmallow, but said it still may be very bitter. Well, it was!! I tried everything I could possibly think of to get Jackson to take the medicine. The first few times, he just threw it up. He would gag and gag until he threw it up. What good is it doing if he is throwing it up, right? I tried mixing it in his favorite foods and he would not eat. He would stick his hand in my face as to say "No Mommy!". I finally resorted back to baby food which he has not had in 3 months. I thought that would be an esy way to mix it and I knew the ones he loved! He still would have nothing to do with it. My last try was at Nana and Papa's house. This was day 3 of the antibiotc and he gets it 4 times a day. I mixed it with candied yams and put tons of brown sugar and butter in it, thinking he would surely not be able to taste it with all that sweetness. WRONG! I got the hand in the face again. I was so frustrtaed. Nana tasted the yams and her food almost came back up. It really is nasty! The pharmacist told me it was the only medicine to get rid of the infection Jackson has. One of my nurse friends told me if he did not get the medicine, he would probably have to be hospitalized and get it through IV. Of course, I did not want this to happen. I told my mom to please try and give it to him. I just did not know what else to do. Well, I shouold have known that my wonderful Mother who always has the answer, could have done the trick. With a cookie in hand, Nana gave Jackson 1/4 of a teaspoon three times instead of all 3/4 of a teaspoon at once. She stuck the syringe as far back in his throat as she could without gagging him and squirted the medicine. I could not believe it! Jackson took the medicine without throwing it back up. I was so excited. I had to do a happy dance for Jackson. The key was sqirtng smaller amounts and squirting it as far back as possible without gagging him. I was giving it all at once and not pushing it to the back of his throat. He was tasting it all on his tongue and that makes for a no no.
Hershey's Hugs + M&M Pretzel Bites
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment